So for those of you who know me well, you know I’m a stickler for buying local. I suppose this is a bit motivated by being a local vendor myself but truely it is so much more than that. I absolutely love to see small businesses succeed and take it personally when they don’t. I understand the risk and dedication it takes to do a start up and when one makes it I see it as a small victory for my community.
The central coast has been blessed with a plethora of products from thriving small businesses. I encourage you to consider them when making holiday purchases and please, if I have missed any feel free to add them in the comments! Here are my top ten:
1. The Joycup Co: handmade peanut butter cups made with local ingredients. http://www.thejoycupco.com ( cayucos)
2. Dark Nectar: fresh roasted coffee, sustainably sourced http://www.darknectarroasters.com (Templeton)
3. SLO grown produce: olive oil, year round cucumbers and tomatoes ( like them on Facebook)
4.Chaparell Gardens: artisan vinegars. Award winning and made with fruits and veggies grown right at their farm!
Find um at New frontiers! ( atascadero)
5. Central Coast Lavender: a huge variety of hand crafted beauty supplies of the highest quality. ( like um on Facebook) ( Paso)
6. Elemental Herbs: makers of the hands down best lip balm on the planet. They now have lipstick that actually stayed on during an entire surf session (I put lipstick on to go surfing cause I had run out of lip balm and it has an spf) http://www.elementalherbs.com ( atascadero)
6. Wholesome Chow: gluten free baking mixes. http://www.wholesomechow.com ( los osos)
7. Sean’s musli munch: 100% organic musli made in los osos. Now available at sunshine health foods.
8. Original Sprout: outstandingly effective hair care and body wash with absolutely no harmful ingredients. I even use their body wash on my dog and his fleas bail. http://www.originalsprout.com ( san Luis Obispo)
9. Brown Butter Cookie Co: hand rolled cookie perfection located in Cayucos. Like um on facebook!
10. Little Red Hen Bread: you will never like any other bread after you try hers! Brick oven baked awesomeness. Available at morro bay, slo (Wed) farmers market, Tuesday AG market and Rutiz farms ( Arroyo Grande)
So there you have it! Shopping, done!
Heres this weeks soup:
Monday in Baywood, Thursday in morro bay and Friday in Cambria: roasted parsnip and Tuscan White Bean
I look forward to seeing you all and don’t forget your jars!